Safe digging is everyone’s responsibility…
Safe digging starts when you contact Alabama 811 either with the internet web portal link above or direct telephone call. Per Alabama law, everyone, including home-owners, must contact Alabama 811 at least two full working days, not counting the day of notification, prior to the start of any excavation project – no matter how large or how small – especially if you are using any type of mechanized equipment. If you are unsure whether you need to notify Alabama 811 prior to starting you job, remember it is always best to contact 811 since having the utilities mark their facilities prior to excavating is a free service.
To contact Alabama you can simply dial 811 from anywhere in Alabama. If you are calling outside of Alabama you can reach us on our toll free number 800-292-8525. It is even quicker and easier for you to use our Homeowner Locate Request link.
Key things to remember:
- Alabama 811 is the one call notification center for Alabama. We do not locate the lines directly but notify the potentially affected member utilities in the area of your excavation site to come out and mark their lines.
- Alabama’s law requires that all underground facility owners becomes members of Alabama 811 by January 1, 2022. Only the members of Alabama 811 will come out and mark their facilities when using Alabama 811. Non-members must be contacted directly. However, they are still required to mark their facilities within the 2 working days.
- Only the members of Alabama 811 will come out and mark their facilities when using Alabama 811. Non-members must be contacted directly. However, they are still required to mark their facilities within the 2 full working days. The two working notice begins at 7am the start of the next business day after initial notification.
- Member companies will mark the facilities that they own and operate. For most water and sewer lines they will mark along the right of way and up to the meter. Any lines from the meter to your residence are considered to be private and the property of the homeowner.
- Member companies will mark using the APWA Color Code noting which type of underground facility exists.
- If you need to dig within 18 inches either side of the utility markings, you will need to use non-mechanized equipment, dig carefully and spot the facilities.
Click here to see what yard will look like after you place your request and the utilities come out and mark.