To begin the process to protect your underground facilities by being a member of Alabama 811, please request a membership implementation meeting and complete the online membership application at the following links:
Alabama 811 is a communication network established to provide a toll free telephone number for excavators, contractors, utility companies and the general public to call as required in Alabama Act 94-487 to request a location to be marked for underground lines. The members who join Alabama 811 to receive notice of these future excavations fund and direct the operations of Alabama 811.
MEMBERSHIP ACTIVATION PROCESS
Membership in Alabama 811 is obtained by initiating a request for a membership implementation meeting from link above. During this meeting the following will be reviewed and discussed:
- Completion of a Membership Application
- General operation processes
- Develop and/or indicate notification area and review and agree to Locate Dispatch Procedures
- Execute the legal contract utilized by the Center. This requires a certificate of insurance or proof that the prospective member is self-insured for up to the amount outlined in the insurance requirements
- Establish communications for the purpose of receiving dispatched locate requests
Memberships costs are based on the number of locate requests the company receives annually and any applicable communication costs.
NOTIFICATION AREA PROCESS
In order to determine which members should be notified on each locate request, a notification area must be established for each member company. If possible please have someone familiar with your mapping system present at the implementation meeting so you will understand requirements for establishing a notification area and will be prepared to send us a copy of your notification area data after the meeting. Our preferred format for notification area creation is digital map data such as (but not limited to): ESRI shapefiles (.shp), Geojson, .kml or .kmz, or Geopackage (.gpkg). Although digital map data is preferred, it is not required to build an accurate notification area. In the absence of geospatial data we can also use paper maps and/or pdf’s that outline your lines or general service areas. If geospatial files or paper maps/pdfs are not available please let us know in advance of the meeting so we can arrange to have a member of our mapping team attend. We will be glad to work with you to properly establish an accurate notification area that will meet your needs.
Once information has been received and approved, Alabama 811 will import into our GIS database. A member receives notification for an excavation site if the site location “conflicts” with their designated service area.
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP:
- Compliance – ensures compliance with State law requirements for participation in the one-call notification system
- Safety – reduces the risk of accidents from dig-ins and increases awareness of excavation activities
- Service – prevents the interruption of utility services
- Savings – reduces the risk of damages to underground facilities; saves times for the excavator in streamlining the notification process; and allows member companies to be more cost efficient by sharing the cost of 811 services and freeing up employees for other responsibilities.
- Customer Service – Alabama 811 Call Center Agents have an initial extensive training as well as continual training during the year. The Call Center Agents understand the importance of obtaining the required information and ensuring the accuracy of all locate requests.
- Liability – all locate requests are voice recorded and computer as well as voice recordings of locate requests are maintained for a four year period.
- Reliability – Alabama 811 has power back up as well as other business continuity initiatives in place to eliminate equipment down time. Alabama 811 has working agreements with power and telecommunication companies to minimize loss of service and quick recovery response.
- Technology – access to free ticket management system through KorWeb
To get started, click on the Request Membership Implementation Meeting Link above to have a staff member contact you.